18 April 2006

Platypus, The Missing Link ?

Hey, I know I said this site was for photos only, and I hinted that they would
be photos I had taken, well where ever possible that will be the case.

I just got so wrapped up in researching the Platypus that I decided to ignore
rule 1.

If you do not find this to be just as Intriguingas I did let me know so I don't do
it again.

Platypus

Platypuses are covered with three layers of thick brown fur.

Platypuses live near streams and lakes in eastern parts of Australia.

Platypuses eat worms and other small animals that live in the water.

Platypuses have webbed feet, a bill like a duck's, a tail like a beaver's.
The females lay eggs like a snake's and feed their young milk.


Platypuses are mammals that lays eggs. There are only two mammals that do this.
The echidna is the other. Mammals that lay eggs are called monotremes.


Platypuses live beside rivers, creeks and lakes in Australia.

Platypuses have webbed feet and a broad, flat tail about 12 centimetres long
that helps them swim. As they swim, platypuses close their ears and eyes.
They feel for food with their leathery bill, which has special nerves in it to
sense food. Platypuses are most often out looking for food before dawn and
for a few hours before sunset.

The platypus scoops up worms, shrimp, insect larvae and other small
animals that live on the bottom of rivers, creeks and lakes. They store the
food in cheek pouches, and swim to the surface to eat.

When they eat food, platypuses crush it with tough, horny pads on their upper
and lower jaws. They don't have teeth.

A platypus' body can be up to 45 centimetres long. They can weigh up to
2.3 kilograms. Males are larger then females. Male platypuses also have a
sharp, hollow claw-like spur behind the ankles on its hind legs. The spurs are
connected to poison glands. Male platypuses may use them to protect
themselves from predators and to fight other male platypuses during
mating season.

The platypus has webbed feet for swimming. On land, the webs turn back
to uncover claws on the feet which it uses to dig a long burrow in the banks
of rivers and creeks. Some burrows can be as long 25 metres. Each platypus
has its own burrow. Females build a nest of grass and leaves in a chamber at
the end of their nesting burrows when it is time to lay eggs.

Life cycle
After mating with a male platypus, (between June and October) a female lays one or two eggs. She lies curled up with the eggs between her body
and tail to protect them until they hatch.
The eggs hatch in about ten days
and the young stay with their mother for up to four months. They drink
milk that oozes from their mother's body, sucking it from her fur.

7 comments:

Merle said...

Hi Peter ~~Wow I learnt a bit more about the playpus. Very interesting.
Cheers, Merle.

Vickie said...

What a very nice place you have here and I will be returning.
Guess what my very favorite animal is that you have there?

Peter said...

Hi Vickie, I'm gonna guess at the Thorney Devil, not for any special reason but they are as cute as a button.

bornfool said...

The platypus has to be one of the strangest animals.
I understand they taste like chicken. (Kidding of course.)

Jamie Dawn said...

The eggs hatch in only ten days. I bet those babies are kind of ugly-cute little things.

I would freak out if I saw one of those while I was swimming.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Platypus are extremely odd critters, aren't they. I think the first time they were found, people thought they were put together by man, and were a joke. I think they are cute !!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.